The bomb went off took place in Kotahena while the Police STF was trying to defuse it. It was found inside a suspicious vehicle. However so far no casualties have been reported.
It is to be noted that Sri Lankan police has found as many as 87 bomb detonators at the main bus station in the capital city of Colombo, on Monday, Reuters reported. The latest blast apparently took place in the process of defusing these bombs.
This comes just a day after the country was jolted to its core on Easter Sunday as suicide bombers attacked churches and hotels killing 290 people and wounding over 500 people.
As per the report, security forces are carrying out rigorous searches across the island nation to find those behind the Sunday bombing, which was one of the deadliest attacks in the country in over a decade.
No group has claimed responsibility so far of the attack, however a local outfit identified as the National Tawheed Jamath is suspected of plotting the blasts, a top Sri Lankan minister said on Monday.
Health Minister and the government spokesman, Rajitha Senaratne, also said that all suicide bombers involved in the blasts are believed to be Sri Lankan nationals. Speaking at a press conference here, the minister said that the Chief of National Intelligence had warned the Inspector General of Police (IGP regarding the probable attacks before April 11.
In a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC chaired by President Maithripala Sirisena, it was decided to enforce a state of emergency from midnight Monday in the country. “The government has decided to gazette the sections dealing with prevention of terrorism under emergency regulations from midnight today,” statement from the president’s media cell said.
A string of eight powerful blasts, including suicide attacks, struck churches and luxury hotels frequented by foreigners in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, killing 290 people, including six Indians, and shattering a decade of peace in the island nation since the end of the civil war with the LTTE.